So some friends have been posting one thing they are thankful for each day of this month, instead I decided to just write them down. I'll probably loose that piece of paper so I decided to blog about it!
Day 1: I'm thankful my husband is willing to work his butt off for me to stay home with my kids. This is a very important thing for BOTH of us. Day 2: I'm thankful for a house to call our own, even if it is really small :) Day 3: I'm thankful for my amazing hubby who loves me no matter what. Day 4: I'm thankful for my little man who turned 2 today! Day 5: I'm thankful for my parents who are always there for us! Day 6: I'm thankful for my best friend Rachel who has been there for me every single time I needed her. Day 7: I'm thankful for sleep! Day 8: I'm thankful for food on our table Day 9: I'm thankful for Ryan's parents, his dad has been picking him up and dropping him off or letting Ryan use his vehicle since we only have one! Day 10: I'm thankful for having that one vehicle to be able to go places with the kids during the day. Day 11: I'm thankful for Megan for introducing us to cloth diapers! It has saved us so much money AND my kids have cute booties! Day 12: I'm thankful for online friends who really make this whole mom thing easier! Day 13: I'm thankful for my brother and his family coming here soon to spend Thanksgiving with us! Day 14: I'm thankful for Ryan's sister Becca who I can always count on for a good laugh. Day 15: I'm thankful I can provide Lillyanna with the best thing in the entire world, Breastmilk!!! Day 16: I'm thankful for baby carriers, mainly our Sugar Sweet Baby wrap and Ergo! Day 17: I'm thankful for heat in our house, it's getting chilly out! Day 18: I'm thankful for my chiropractor, she makes my daily life just a bit easier! Day 19: I'm thankful for every day being different, never a dull moment around here! Day 20: I'm thankful for a hubby who cleans bathrooms! Day 21: I'm thankful for all the help my kiddos give doing laundry... oh wait maybe not but watching Landyn try to fold washcloths is a hoot! Day 22: I'm thankful for my dishwasher! Day 23: I'm thankful for gates that keep my children safe! Day 24: I'm thankful for the ability to buy healthy food for my children to eat! Day 25: I'm thankful for spending today with family! Day 26: I'm thankful for my beautiful baby girl who is 10 months old today! Day 27: I'm thankful for living in a great area to raise kids! Day 28: I'm thankful for my computer, without it I would be lost! Day 29: I'm thankful for online shopping! Day 30: I'm thankful for the sound of puppy paws running through my house! Happy 3 year Birthday Tucker!!
Landyn is now famous with friends and family for his tantrums. For the most part I say "I"m sorry that you are mad but (insert behavior that is not acceptable) but I will not help you until you are done screaming and throwing a tantrum." or "I'm sorry that you are sad but you cannot do (insert whatever he's trying to do that is not safe or needs to wait until later)" Some days I laugh at him and other days I cry with him... this was a few weeks ago when Ryan and I were laughing and taking pictures....
and this was all over the fact that I told him he couldn't pull the dogs ears. Glad he's starting to get over this stage, or at least I think he is....
You weigh around 13 pounds (your 6 month appt is Wed morning) You wear size 6 month clothing and are still in your size small cloth diapers! You eat every 2-3 hours around the clock, which is made easier by bedsharing! You are not interested in solids at all so we are going to wait a bit, your doing just fine on breastmilk alone!
You can roll/scoot around the living room now! Sometimes I even find you under the swing or playing with brother's toys! You smile and coo most of the day, well except when someone else holds you :) Your favorite toy is Sophie the Giraffe.
You take cat naps all day and are not really on a schedule which is fine with me! You LOVE your big brother, anytime he is around you are laughing and smiling at him! You also LOVE your dog Tucker although he doesn't seem to care either way! When we are out and about you LOVE to be worn in one of mommy's many baby carriers!
So now that I'd consider myself a fairly experienced breastfeeding mom I decided to make a list of myths about breastfeeding. Some of them are things I already knew, some are things I learned while breastfeeding Landyn and Lillyanna and a lot of them are things I've learned from our local LLL chapter!
1. Your breasts need time to fill up after feeding your baby: Totally false, your breasts are making milk 24/7, they never stop. Even if your baby ate an hour ago they are still going to get milk AND they are going to help your body make more milk! Supply and Demand baby!
2. You can't make enough milk to feed a big baby: again Supply and demand baby! there are a lot of women who feed mulitiples or tandem nurse (I tandem nursed my 2 kiddos)
3. If you are tired your husband can get up and feed the baby a bottle while you continue to sleep: This is a fast track to loosing your milk supply :( let's go back to supply and demand. If the baby is given a bottle you NEED to get up and pump! (which is a lot harder and takes longer than just feeding the baby) In the first month feeding the baby every 1-2 hours around the clock is normal and it's needed to build your supply (some women don't need to do this and just follow their babies cues which sometimes works out just fine)
4. Your overfeeding your baby: you cannot overfeed an exclusively breastfed infant, (meaning no bottles at all) Breastmilk takes 1.5 hours to digest so your baby very well might be hungry after an hour or so! NOTHING wrong with that! I have an almost 6 month old that still gets up MULTIPLE times per night to eat, yes I get no sleep at all.
5. I have a low milk supply: (i was this mom with Landyn) It's actually very rare for a mom to not be able to make enough milk for her child, it's usually something you are doing that is causing this! (for me it was supplementing with a bottle) 2questions you need to ask first: Is my baby have 4-6 wet and 2-3 BM's a day? and Is my baby gaining weight? If the answer is yes to both of those you DO NOT have a milk supply issue!!
6. I don't feel full: I personally never really feel full unless my daughter sleeps a 4 hour stretch at night (which has happened twice since we've been home) Not feeling full means your body has regulated for your babies needs at that time! Now it will change with growth spurts and if you add pumping but for the most part not feeling full is a good thing! It's uncomfortable and can cause clogged ducts or mastitis!
7. I am going to pump so we can see how much baby is eating: Your baby is much more efficiant than a pump! Some experts say that a baby gets double what you can pump so pumping is NOT an indicator of supply!! Look at baby's diapers and you can tell they are getting enough!
8. I only pump 1.5-3oz per session: this is actually totally normal! A breastfeed baby only needs to eat about 1.25oz per hour when getting a bottle. So if you are going to be gone, you should make 2-2.5oz bottles for every 2 hours you are going to be gone. If you are going back to work print out this link to give to your caregivers who will be feeding the baby to make sure they are not overfeeding your baby (yes it is possible to OVERFEED a breastfed baby brestmilk out of a bottle)
Okay so that's it for now, Lilly is hungry...again... yup she hate an hour ago but that doesn't mean anything! :)
On June 5th we had Lilly baptized into the Catholic Church. She LOVED Father Dave and kept grinning at him! Here are a few pictures of the Baptism and I'll put up another post of pictures after :)
It's hard to tell but she has a huge smile for Father Dave in this picture. Holy Water Stinky oil stuff! (yea i really have no idea what its called. i think The Oil of Cata something)If you look closely she's wearing a Bumgenius AIO :) Gown that has been passed down generations in Ryan's family
I'm happy to say that becoming a mother has changed my life in so many ways but all for the best! I have now become a breastfeeding, cloth diapering, baby wearing, baby led weaning, selective vaxing, and photograph taking mama! Landyn and Lillyanna are amazing kiddos and I can't wait to see what the future holds for us!